541.510.2159
541.729.6626

Call for an Estimate

Mon - Fri: 8:00-5:00

Other Hours by Appointment

541.510.2159
541.729.6626

Call for an Estimate

The Dangers Of Mold Toxins In Your Home

The dangers of mold toxins are hazardous to your health. Unfortunately, mold toxins can often go undetected for months if not years. Over time, it’s possible for mold toxins to grow in your walls or other parts of your home without you even realizing it.

Thankfully, contractors are able to identify mold in your home while working on home repair jobs. Even if your general contractor didn’t locate the mold, you can ask them to handle it after noticing it yourself. That being said, it’s important to understand the different types of mold, how they can each affect your health, and how you can eliminate the issue once and for all. Here’s what you need to know about the dangers of mold toxins in your home. 

What Is Mold?

Mold is part of the fungi family. When conditions are right, mold will grow and release spores throughout your home, causing the fungus to spread to new areas. Initially, these spores can enter your home through windows, doors, clothing, pets, etc. While there are steps you can take to limit the possibility of mold, there is always a chance of it getting into your home somehow. 

Depending on the type of mold growing in your home, the effects may vary in severity. Some mold toxins are relatively harmless, while others are a great cause for concern. If your or your general home repair contractor discovers mold growing in your home, it’s important to identify what type of mold it is and determine your next course of action. 

Signs Of Mold In Your Home

If you’re worried about the possibility of mold growing in your home, there are several signs you can keep an eye out for which will help you identify any unwanted fungi. Mold often starts out as small spots and can be just about any color. While mold starts small, it can quickly spread. 

Mold takes the appearance of a cottony and velvety material. If you locate a suspicion spot in your home, some ways to tell if it may be mold include:

  • A musty odor
  • It’s located in a moist or damp environment (such as an unfinished basement or cellar)
  • It’s in a poorly lit area
  • The spot grows overtime

If you’re unsure whether a spot is a mold or not, it is always better to treat it as if it were potentially dangerous. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Once you’ve located a spot, you or your contractor must address the issue.

How To Get Rid Of Mold

While some mold can be easily taken care of yourself, severe cases require a professional. If the mold spot is small and harmless, you can easily take care of it with some basic cleaning materials or soap and water. Always be sure to wear the proper protective equipment when dealing with mold and cleaners. Proper equipment includes:

  • Gloves
  • Goggles
  • Face mask
  • Opening nearby windows and doors

If the mold has grown out of control, or you have reason to believe that it is a more dangerous variety, consult your general contractor about the issue and have a professional take care of it. Remember that the dangers of mold toxins can be deadly and should always be handled with caution. 

Have A Project? We Can Help!

Fix Pros Construction is a local contracting company in Springfield, OR. We make it our mission to turn your project into a job well done. We pride ourselves on only using quality materials and providing top-notch service. If you have a project, we’d love to help you get it done! Contact us today for a free estimate!