Your home is one of your most important assets, so it’s imperative to take care of it. Regular maintenance is necessary for the longevity of your home. Just like a car, neglecting routine repairs on your home can cause greater issues, depreciating its value over time. Thankfully, setting a home maintenance schedule and checklist will help you stay on track. Here are some items you should attend to on a regular basis.
There are some tasks that should be completed on a monthly basis. These smaller repairs are easy to knock out and will help protect your home from larger, more expensive, issues and repairs. Items that should be completed monthly include:
- Clean your furnace filter by removing dust and other debris. This will help your home regulate temperature and lower your energy bill.
- Replenish salt in your water softener (if applicable)
- Clean the mineral build-ups like calcium out of your faucets and showerheads
- Unclog any backed up shower drains by removing hair or other debris
- Test all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, etc.
- Check and refill all empty fire extinguishers
- Clean out air vents
- Clean garbage disposals by grinding ice and then flushing with baking soda and hot water
While some of these tasks may seem tedious, they are necessary to prevent bigger issues from arising. Take time each month to complete this list.
Aside from a monthly home maintenance schedule and checklist, there are some tasks that should be completed seasonally. Here is a brief rundown of each season and what you should focus on.
- Check the roof for missing or damaged shingles
- Replace AC filter
- Check window and door screens for rips and tears
- Refinish your deck
- Power-wash siding and driveway
- Clear gutters of all leaves and debris so spring showers can drain appropriately
- Have septic tank inspected and cleaned
- Clean out all lint from the dryer vent
- Oil your garage door track and all door hinges
- Check your kitchen exhaust for dirt. Replace if necessary
- Clean fridge and freezer coils
- Look for leaks around the house including bathrooms, kitchen, garage, etc.
- Trim trees and bushes that may overgrow into gutters, AC units, chimneys, etc.
- Rake and bag leaves
- Have your heating system inspected by a professional to remove dust and debris before use
- Check windows for air leaks and replace broken seals
- Touch up siding and trim with fresh paint
- Drain in-ground sprinkler systems and hoses in preparation for cold weather
- Cover your AC unit with a weatherproof tarp or cloth
- Look for leaks around your home, especially in your basement
- Look for visible damage to the roof
- Clean drains, sinks, pipes, etc
There are many items to check when keeping your home ready for each season. If you need help with a project, consider reaching out to a qualified contractor. These professionals can help get your home ready for the seasons by completing routine maintenance at an affordable cost. Considering hiring one as a consultant to go over your list and let you know if there’s anything you missed.
Have A Project? We Can Help!
Fix Pros Construction is a local contracting company in Springfield, OR. We make it our mission to turn your project into a job well done. We pride ourselves on only using quality materials and providing top-notch service. If you have a project, we’d love to help you get it done! Contact us today for a free estimate!